Aims & Scope
The gap between scholarly literature and its coverage by the general media is large. The multidisciplinary open-access journal New Ground aims to better cover this gap and inform researchers from related or more distant disciplines about relevant work. It does so by publishing articles on selected scientific publications. All articles are written by Ph.D.-qualified expert science writers from the respective disciplines and reviewed by the last author(s) of the original publication. New Ground articles are published on a continuous basis.
Covered research originally published in:
- Journal of Experimental Medicine (JEM)
- Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society (MNRAS)
- Nature Cardiovascular Research
- Nature Energy
- Nature Methods
- Nature Neuroscience
- Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS)
- Publications of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific (PASP)
- upcoming: Nature Cardiovascular Research
- to be continued
New Ground authors:
Yasmin Aghajan is a Clinical Fellow in Neurology at the Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston.
Gianina Buda graduated from Northeastern University in Boston, Massachusetts with a Ph.D. in Computational Condensed Matter Physics. She is a scientific editor and writer, both for specialist and general audiences.
Gaia Donati has worked as an Associate Editor at Nature Photonics and Nature, and is currently a freelance science writer with a focus on physics and scientific publishing.
Nicola Donelan is a freelance medical and science writer with a Ph.D. in Biomedical Sciences from Mount Sinai Hospital, New York City. Her focus is on healthcare, pharmaceuticals, and biotechnology.
Stefanie Flunkert is a scientific writer with a Ph.D. in neuroscience and the founder of BioDoks.
Jay Freeman is a multidisciplinary chemist with post-doctoral experience in pharmaceutical and medicinal chemistry. He is currently a science editor and writer with Oxford Science Editing.
Gil Henriques is a theoretical evolutionary biologist and data scientist.
Christina Lilliehook is a Senior Science Writer at RA Capital, a Science Editor at Life Science Editors, and a former Deputy Editor at Cell Stem Cell.
Anna Ploszajski holds a Ph.D. in Engineering in solid-state hydrogen storage materials from the University College London and is a fellow of the Institute of Materials, Minerals & Mining, London.
Ethan R. Siegel is a theoretical astrophysicist and has worked as a visiting assistant professor of physics. He is currently a full-time science communicator and author.
Katrina Woolcock is a Scientific Editor & Writer at Life Science Editors. She obtained her Ph.D. in Molecular Biology from the Friedrich Miescher Institute for Biomedical Research in Basel, Switzerland, and completed a locum position as an editor at Nature Structural & Molecular Biology.
to be continued
Feedback from the net:
- "Scientific debate at its best" – Mastodon
- "Leading up to #SfN 2022" - EBRAINS on LinkedIn
- "New Ground features two PioneerCampus Publications" – Helmholtz Pioneer Campus at Helmholtz Munich
- "I’m typically rather sceptical about articles of this kind posted to this platform, but this - by @FulvioMelia, summarised by @StartsWithABang - is extraordinarily good and well worth your time." – Twitter
- Well-received New Ground post - LinkedIn
- "6 major cracks have appeared in the standard model of cosmology. Is it wrong?" – Article by Adam Frank on bigthink.com, prompted by a New Ground article
- "... bold initiative called 'New Ground', that seeks to make scientific reports more accessible across disciplines" – Christina Lilliehook on LinkedIn
- "Zeitschriften-Tipp: New Ground ... eine neue und einzigartige Zeitschrift ..." – Infozine No 27, ETH Zurich
- Deployment of Green Hydrogen: Opening a Probabilistic Feasibility Space to Inform Policy Choices – Republication of a New Ground article by the industry portal hydrogen-central.com (according to the New Ground re-use policy)
- "... un nouveau modèle de publication, assez original, probablement utile ..." - Hervé Maisonneuve on redactionmedicale.fr
- "I love everything about New Ground. 'A journal dedicated to bringing science to the scientist masses' - I really think that is a niche worth filling." – Janina Fischer on LinkedIn
New Ground guest post:
- Guest post on the Society for Scholarly Publishing's Scholarly Kitchen blog: Open Access Beyond Scholarly Journals, along with readers' comments
- Guest post picked up by the Royal Society of Biology's Science and Policy newsletter, by the University Medical Center Groningen's open science portal, and others
Number of unique visitors of new-ground.com:
- 2,659 (May 2023)
- 3,769 (April 2023)
- 6,462 (Mar 2023)
- 1,139 (Feb 2023)
- 1,388 (Jan 2023)
- 1,421 (Dec 2022)
- 2,365 (Nov 2022)